Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Homemade Fortune Cookies

via
Hello! It's Lynn's daughter Kelly again. I'm here to guest blog about my most recent Pinterest recipe experience. Go check out more photos from my attempt at making these, or read about my upcoming summer in France on my blog, Rainboots & Beef.
This recipe is from Kelly (good name!) at Just a Taste. Here is her recipe (with my additions and improvements in red):
Homemade Fortune Cookies
Yield: 16 fortune cookies
Ingredients:
2 egg whites
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
Handwritten fortunes (optional)  I used quotes from my motivational quote board on Pinterest. (Lynn here - good choice Kelly!)
1 cup chocolate chips (optional) Ha. My cookies were so ugly I didn't feel like wasting chocolate on them.
Sprinkles, for garnish (optional) I ate the sprinkles out of the jar while I cooked, if that counts for anything.

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper or a Silpat. (I didn't have either. Instead I just greased a regular cookie sheet.)
In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, vanilla, cinnamon, flour and sugar. The batter will be very loose. (The batter wasn't exactly lose. It was kind of like glue. I definitely approve of the cinnamon and vanilla in fortune cookies. It made them taste more like sugar cookies than fruit loops, which I think store-bought fortune cookies tend to taste like.)
Using a small spoon, scoop about 1 tablespoon of batter onto the lined cookie sheet. Use the back of the spoon to smooth the batter into a very thin circular layer. (This didn't exactly work for me because the cookie sheet was so greasy and slippery.) Repeat this process with additional batter to form two or three circles of batter on the cookie sheet. (I did three at a time. This is so you can insert fortune, fold, and pinch without the cookies beginning to harden, theoretically.)
Bake the cookies for 5 to 7 minutes, or just until the edges of the cookies begin to brown. (About six minutes seemed to work best for me, but if your cookies were as thin as they are supposed to be...this might be the burning point.)
Remove the cookies from the oven, place the handwritten fortunes in the centers of the cookies, and then use a flat spatula to very carefully release the cookie from the sheet tray. Fold it in half, then pinch the edges inward (as shown above) to create the fortune cookie shape. Continue this process with the remaining cookies, which will harden within 30 seconds of being formed. (This just didn't work. I placed the fortune on the cookie and spatula-ed the cookie off the cookie sheet, but when it came time to fold in half, they just broke, for the most part. The few that didn't break, were way too hot to pinch. About 2 cookies that I made even slightly resembled the shape of a fortune cookie, and none of them had even a slightly similar texture. They were basically folded sugar cookies with paper inside...and the paper was so enmeshed in the batter that you could hardly decipher what the fortune said.)
As an optional garnish, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 20-second intervals then dunk the hardened and cooled cookies into the chocolate. Immediately decorate the chocolate-dipped cookies with sprinkles and let harden. (Didn't do this. My cookies were too ugly.)

Nutritional Information:
16 servings
Amount per serving:
Calories:             41
Fat:                      .1g  
Carbs:                9.3g
Fiber                    .1g          
Protein:                 1g 
Weight Watchers Points Plus Value: 1

I probably wouldn't make these again unless I had a different recipe. I give this recipe 2 pins.
The result:
via
Thanks for letting me guest blog and I hope you stop by and check out my blog, Rainboots & Beef, sometime soon!
If you just hopped over here from Pinterest, Welcome! Feel free to check out any of the other recipes I have reviewed. And come back for another visit sometime soon. - Lynn

1 comment:

  1. The stories of fortune cookies are innumerable and they are similarly in demand among masses. They are crunchy popular cookies loved by all as desserts, teatime delicacies and also snacks for children.

    ReplyDelete