Friday, March 30, 2012

Balsamic Roasted Carrots

Honey-Balsamic Roasted Carrots
via

My carrots.
Hello readers of Me and Pinterest! My name is Kelly, I am Lynn's oldest daughter, fellow writer, and fellow food critic! Thanks, Mom, for letting me guest post on your blog!
This recipe was originally posted by Isabelle at Crumb blog. I mentioned this recipe on my blog, Rainboots and Beef, as part of my 25 before 25 list but didn't provide complete directions. Go to the link above or follow the recipe right here (with my additions and improvements in red):
Balsamic Roasted Carrots
Make sure to use tender young carrots for this recipe - the kind sold in a bunch with their green tops still attached (I definitely didn't use "tender young carrots." My carrots were regular "bagged utility carrots." I would never go out of my way to spend five times more money on carrots that will probably taste the same when cooked. But that could be just because I am a poor graduate student saving money for a summer abroad.)- rather than bagged utility carrots. If you can find them, rainbow - coloured heirloom carrots make a particularly pretty presentation. To make up for not having a "particularly pretty presentation," I added some color by throwing some green bell peppers in the mix.
Ingredients:
2 bunches fresh carrots, peeled and trimmed (I had about 8 carrots and two bell peppers in my fridge.)
1 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
5 sprigs fresh thyme (I didn't have any fresh thyme, so I used dried thyme flakes.)
2 Tbs honey
2 Tbs balsamic vinegar (I didn't have any regular balsamic vinegar on hand, but I did have some ultra fancy blackberry balsamic vinegar leftover from my cousin's wedding. The fancy cork top got lodged in the bottle and since I don't have a wine cork opener I had to pry the cork out with fondue skewers. It was not a pretty sight, but I made it work.)
Instructions:
1) Preheat oven to 425F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2) Slice the carrots in half lengthwise. I did this, and also cut each bell pepper in 1/4s. In a large mixing bowl, toss with oil, salt and pepper until evenly coated.
3) Arrange carrots in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, and scatter thyme sprigs overtop. I just opened the oven and sprinkled thyme flakes right out of the jar. Roast in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
4) In small bowl, whisk together honey and balsamic vinegar. Pour over the carrots, and gently roll them around to coat. Roast for a further 15-20 minutes or until carrots are tender and caramelized. I went a little longer than this, but checked them every few minutes to assess how "tender and caramelized" they were.
Serve immediately. These were amazing straight out of the oven, so I definitely agree with the "serve immediately" instructions. I was eating these alone, and couldn't eat all of them, so I saved some in the fridge for later. Bad idea. These carrot jewels are definitely an eat-right-now experience. So, make a small batch, or don't eat alone. Invite your neighbors over. Call all your friends. Call all your enemies, for that matter. You never know what kind of effect really good carrots will have on people.
Nutritional Information:
8 servings
Amount per serving: 
Calories:                77              
Fat:                       1.9g
Carbs:                 15.1g
Fiber                        3g          
Protein:                    1g           
Weight Watchers Points Plus Values: 2
So in my estimation these carrots earn a stellar 5 pins! Thanks, Mom for letting me post. If anyone wants to follow me on my adventures in France, follow me here. Enjoy!
If you just hopped over here from Pinterest, Welcome! Feel free to check out any of the other recipes I have reviewed. And come back for another visit sometime soon. - Lynn
Who knew there was an entire cookbook on roasted veggies? See the ad below! 

3 comments:

  1. This is an amazing post. I especially love the part about the fondue skewers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur!! The fondue skewers were an excellent touch! But, HOW do you still have any of the blackberry balsamic vinegar left??? It was INCREDIBLE!!

    Also a nice thought about inviting your enemies... I personally think the effect of some really good carrots might be quite positive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only have a tiny bit left in the bottom of the jar. It was so delicious I would only use a little bit at a time. That, and I don't eat salady things as often as I should. :)

    ReplyDelete